(part 9) Basses for Newbies Bass 1-3

I took the 3 basses out "in the wild" for a test tonight at my friend's house where I helped build a recording studio. It was his birthday party, not really a recording session, but because it was his birthday, all of the bass players were there and were ableto play and jam on the bass. I was able to record some sample clips from all the basses, put down bass parts for a couple of songs that are in process in the studio, and get valuable feedback from working players.

In general, the response was very positive. . . maybe a bit too positive as 2 of my friends emphatically want to buy #2 and #3 from me which leaves one for the Nueva School's music program. These are just plain fun basses to play, and while they may not measure up to full blown custom jobbies, they get the job done and done quite well.

The real players appreciate immediately the work that went into these. They knew from the moment started playing up that these were not just your normal $120 budget basses. On tape, the basses sound good. Nice, solid jazz bass tone and the shielding keeps the noise respectably quiet for single coils.

I did not take my camera with me which was a mistake because this thread has been very photo-rich and the studio's a fun place to shoot, but I was dragging a lot of stuff with me as it is, and birthday parties are crowded places, but how 'bout I make up for it with sound clips in the next couple days once I get the samples mixed?

To hear these basses get wrung out in the most critical of settings and make music was a real treat for me after putting in a lot of time and effort. I think the project as a whole is a huge success. All 3 of these basses will find good homes and make lots of music. My only regret is not having purchased more while they were still available.

No comments:

Post a Comment