Basses for Newbies - Thoughts on Bass #4

This one sounded special to me when I played it out of the box. Highly subjective, but sometimes an instrument just speaks to you. This one had richness, resonance, and complexity in the acoustic sound that I liked. The SX's that I've handled range from just above 8 lbs. to just over 10 lbs. which is quite the range with most falling between 9 and 10 lbs. This one measures on the extreme low end and the body is really a featherweight for alder.

The neck pocket is the most often screwed up areas in an SX. There is no reason with CNC machining that they can't make the neck pockets consistent and the screw holes precisely align so that necks are truly interchangeable, but I have yet to see one align on an SX. Also, I'd estimate that only 1 out of every 5 SX's don't need to be shimmed because the neck pocket is un-molested. This is only critical if you're trying to get nice, low action. Otherwise, you'd never know or care. It's just a roll of the dice as far as neck pockets. Threaded inserts mitigate the effects of the problem to a large extent I think, but still, mechanically, it's best to not have a shim.

I've tried to keep things economical on these builds and refrain from replacing anything on these basses without reason. The tuners, bridges, and nuts have remained even though there are better options out there because they do the job (as well as any vintage bridge). The pups are falling short and holding the instrument back. I'd like for these instruments to be capable of serious work, and I think they can stand up to that kind of scrutiny. If replacement is necessary. .. might as well do it right.

At the end of the day, these are still cheap SX's and will never be able to measure up to a premium bass in terms of fit and finish, but they CAN be made to handle and sound phenomenal. The tape doesn't lie and I think there is still unexploited potential in these basses. I'd like to hear what an SX sounds like with good mics onboard. Right now, the dynamic range of the instrument is getting cut off by the "SX effect".

No comments:

Post a Comment